Monday, August 31, 2009

The Manx Missile comes to Missouri

Yes indeed, just a week away from the start of the 2009 Tour of Missouri. I have been trying to decide what I might be most excited about regarding the upcoming tour. Our two National Champions, George Hincapie and David Zabriskie competing in the Show-Me-State? The return to racing of cycling legends who were injured in this year's Tour de France, Levi Leipheimer and Jens Voigt? The entry of the TdF's 'king of the mountains' and polka-dot jersey bearer, Franco Pellizotti?

No, no and no.

For me - it's all about seeing Mark Cavendish, the Manx Missile.

Now, you may ask, what is up with his nickname? Let's take the second part first: Missile. Everyone knows what a missile is...it's an object that is fired, thrown or dropped, or otherwise chucked at a target. A projectile of sorts. Well this makes sense. Cavendish certainly is an object that is frequently projected.
Now let's take a look at the first part: Manx. For those of you who aren't aware, Cavendish is originally from the Isle of Man. The term 'Manx' may be used to refer to anything pertaining to the Isle of Man, or its people, language or culture. However, it may also be used in reference to the animals of the Isle of Man. Hence the elusive Manx cat!


Now what is peculiar to the Manx cat breed is that they all possess a mutation which leaves them either with a tiny stub of a tail, or more frequently, they have no tail at all. It is for this reason that in the Manx language, they are called 'stubbin.' Based on how much of a tail they are born with (or without as the case may be), they can be sub-classified and named accordingly. For example, a Manx kitten born completely tail-less is called a Dimple Rumpy because there is a dimple where the stubbin ought to be.

For anyone who has been watching any cycling this year, you are well aware that one of Cavendish's favorite and most endearing things to do is to execute an elaborate gesture for when he crosses the finish line in first place. Think on this for a moment, because this demonstrates what a careful tactition and master racer he is. I can imagine him sitting on the edge of his hotel room bed the night before a big race deciding which gesture he will perform the following day when he beats everyone else. Some examples:

This is the "I am so far out in front of you as I finish this stage, that I no longer need my glasses to shield my eyes from your sweat" salute that he gave to Thor Hushovd, recently.

And here is the "I'm calling long distance to my rivals because they are so far behind me" salute he passed on to the rest of the bunch sprint.

And of course, this is his patented "I am cupping my ear to hear if there are any other cyclists behind me, but it is so difficult because they are so far away," salute to his respected colleagues.

But this last one is a bit of a mystery, even to me, the most die-hard of Cavendish fans. I think he's trying to convey one of two things here.

Either a) he secretly wishes to be a ballerina.

Or b) he is demonstrating truly why he is called the Manx Missile by highlighting the dimple where the stubbin ought to be.


I vote b).
Welcome back to Missouri, Cav....you prince of of the Dimple Rumpys.




2 comments:

  1. Cute blog. I enjoy BSNYC and look forward to your take on what the master would say about Columbia's bicycle scene, bike haters, city council, and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Observations of responses to the city council rulings are definitely in the works. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete